Conference Theme: Perennial Questions, Innovative Responses: Policy Ideology, and Evidence as Contested Terrain in the Research on Schools, Communities, and Society
Signature focus: Disciplinary, interdisciplinary and trans-disciplinary research
We hope to attract researchers from fields such as teaching and teacher education, science and technology, mind and matter, politics and society, language and literature, children and childhood, teaching, learning and assessment, strategic planning and policy, development education and development studies, reform and renewal, time and space, visual media, fashion and craft, festivals and pageant, music, sport, theatre, film, and dance, social media and interaction, futures, and among the many other fields for which the City and College are proud.
IRMSS 2018: IRMSS is committed to bringing forward the most global of global issues with the most local of local realities through the sharing of high quality educational research. IRMSS is especially committed to stimulating conversation-building between seasoned and novice researchers surrounding the debates, controversies and tensions between policy decisions driven by ideology versus those driven by evidence. The focus this year is on raising perennial questions and innovative responses that look at policy, ideology and evidence as contested terrain in contemporary thought, theory and practice. In this way, IRMSS hopes to draw on the findings of empirical research and critical studies to evaluate current policies and practices, to generate fresh thinking and to bring a humanising influence to bear on proposals for reform and renewal across schools, communities and broader society.
We hope that researchers will join with us in interrogating prevailing orthodoxies about the epistemological, ontological and ethical boundaries or gaps between ideology, policy and evidence, and how they are embedded educationally, socially, culturally and historically.
We hope to attract researchers from fields such as teaching and teacher education, science and technology, mind and matter, politics and society, language and literature, children and childhood, teaching, learning and assessment, strategic planning and policy, development education and development studies, time and space, visual media, fashion and craft, festivals and pageant, music, sport, theatre, film, and dance, social media and interaction, and futures research. We would very much welcome paper proposals that look at policy, ideology and evidence “on the slant” and bring a creative, unanticipated, and different framing to the conference themes.
The IRMSS invitation is wide open to all researchers engaged in researching policy, ideology and evidence as contested terrain across qualitative, quantitative and hermeneutical traditions and disciplinary, interdisciplinary and transdisciplinary worldviews.
Abstract submission guidelines
The call for paper proposal abstracts invites contributions that:
- Explore language, learning and culture as variables of social analysis.
- Discuss language, learning and culture as troublesome knowledge that is counter-intuitive, alien and alternative to prevailing research orthodoxies.
- Discuss language, learning and culture as a variable of impact, influence and engagement in the public and policy spheres.
- Abstracts should be written in WORD format with a word count between 250 and 300 words and should be accompanied by the following presenter details and biographical details and emailed to Dr Ger Downes at: firstname.lastname@example.org no later than 5 PM on Friday, 23rd February, 2018.
- Departmental/Faculty Affiliation
- Email Address
- College/University Affiliation
*Repeat for second/third presenter, as necessary
Abstracts should include a presentation title in no more than 15 words
The lead author/presenter only will be notified of the decision of the Programme Review Committee by Wednesday, March 14th, 2018.
- All reviews will be blinded for the peer review process.
- All presenters’ names and the titles of their presentations will be in the IRMSS programme booklet and website.
- All presenters are requested to be paid registrants of IRMSS.
- Registration package (including fees payment, accommodation and meals) available
For questions and further information, contact Dr Ger Downes at: email@example.com.